The Menaced Assassin. 1926.

The Menaced Assassin. 1926.
Rene Magritte

Monday, March 22, 2010

Group Therapy and Equus

To this point in the class, we have quickly surveyed many schools of literary theory. I have no doubt that we could spend one semester talking about each style of thinking. But this class is a quick look at theory, so that's what you get.
For me, in me, this run and gun is good and bad. Good because I am now aware that Formalism and Post Structuralism exist as schools of theory. If I choose I can further study the nuances of Derrida and Foucault. The bad is this type of class creates, at least in myself, a schizophrenic mind set when using theory on literature. I know just enough to be dangerous. There are many competing theories running around in my brain. Sometimes I mix this one with that one. I have a friend who took her Ph.D. only on one aspect of Freud. She wrote a 450 page document about dependence and codependence. Who am I to use Freud in analyzing literature?
Take that mindset and apply it to a group effort of seven schizophrenic literary theory dilettantes and you have a party or a fight. Maybe a little of both. No matter. The value of quick immersion and potential long term study of theory out weighs the immediate frustration.

1 comment:

  1. Ramsey,
    I can relate to your frustration; however, I do think a class like this is somewhat liberating. Aside from the fear of "getting things wrong," there is a joy in finding new perspectives that one can use in literature (and beyond, I reckon). It's just a matter of knowing how to balance the literature and the theory. I know that some favor one over the other.

    ReplyDelete